Sri Lankan Coconut Broth, with Smoked Cod, Lobster, Coriander, Caviar, Cherry Tomatoes and Crispy Shallots
4 tbsp. rapeseed or vegetable oil
4 cloves of garlic sliced
1 tsp black mustard seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp fenugreek seeds
½ tsp fennel seeds
1 small cinnamon stick
2 dried long red chillies
Small handful of fresh curry leaves
2 small shallots chopped
Small knob of ginger peeled and finely chopped
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp ground coriander
800ml coconut milk
400ml fish stock
1 tbsp light soft brown sugar
250g smoked cod diced
250g fresh lobster tails sliced
2 limes juiced
Small bunch of coriander chopped
Salt and pepper
8 cherry tomatoes, roughly chopped
50g crispy shallot
1. Heat the oil in a medium sized pan, over a medium heat.
2. When the oil is hot, add all the seeds, cinnamon, cloves and chilli until they start to pop, then add the curry leaves, shallots, ginger, turmeric and coriander. Gently fry for a couple of minutes, and then add the coconut milk, fish stock and sugar.
3. Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes and then stir in the cod and lobster. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until the cod and lobster are just cooked.
4. Add the lime juice and coriander and season with salt and pepper.
5. Divide the broth between 4 warm bowls, and serve topped with the caviar, cherry tomatoes and crispy shallots.